SOLVE IT provides a unique holistic and specialist service tackling all issues in relation to Volatile Substance Abuse.
The service aims to prevent or reduce Volatile Substance Abuse (VSA) in children and young people, particularly those we have traditionally found difficulty in engaging with, by encouraging a healthy lifestyle, protecting them from harm, increasing their life skills and enabling them to make a positive contribution to society, by the provision of effective VSA preventative education, early intervention, awareness for parents, training for professionals, with the added value of access to counselling for those who may be abusing volatile substances and family support and or counselling for their families.
The interventions used increase knowledge and understanding, change attitudes, support community cohesion and promote engagement in children and young people.
The service refers to Every Child Matters, Changes for Children, Tackling Drugs – Changing Lives and Drug Education in the Curriculum in its aim to prevent VSA and the harm such abuse may cause to children and young people and their families.
By reducing the harm and deaths among children and young people, it will contribute towards the Government’s five key outcomes for children and young people’s health and well being in Every Child Matters Change for Children.
The service enables children and young people to look at issues in relation to VSA and the impact such abuse may have on their health, achievement, exclusion, crime, families and communities.
By preventing children and young people becoming problematic VSA users we can reduce the possible risk of them becoming involved in crime. This influences the harm that this particular type of substance abuse may cause to the individual, their families and communities.
Targeting the parents and carers of children and young people collectively and on an individual basis, and providing VSA awareness and education enables them to initiate a dialogue with their children on the topic.
OUR KEY PRIORITIES
- Prevent VSA amongst children and young people
- Promote the well being of children, young people and adults by providing counselling and family support for those affected by VSA
- Improve the health and wellbeing of children, young people and adults
- Prevent children, young people and adults at risk from becoming involved in crime due to VSA
- Reduce VSA related crime and anti-social behaviour
- Increase the engagement of children aged 9 – 11 and young people aged 11-13
- Promote healthy lifestyles through community based events
- Improve the educational attainment, school attendance and self esteem of all children especially those who are looked after children or BEM communities through prevention and early intervention.
- Ensure that the voices of children and young people, especially those with SEN and disabilities are heard in the design and delivery of our services, through active participation.
Click here for a diagram of our core work...